Pilates is designed to improve an individual’s overall fitness and well being. A subtle technique that works at supporting and protecting your body as you exercise, it is not intended to replace your current exercise program; rather, it is meant to complement it. It will also increase self-awareness, making us more aware of what we unconsciously do with our bodies and enabling us to identify and alter bad habits. You will learn to focus the mind as you exercise the body, gradually improving your coordination, body awareness, flexibility, and overall alignment.
Key benefits include:
- Increases strength and flexibility
- Improves balance, posture, alignment, and muscle control
- Develops core and abdominal strength
- Lengthens and stretches muscles
- Improves balance, poise, stability, and flexibility
- Helps to reduce stress and fatigue
- Improves mind/body awareness
- Relieves pain, stiffness, and tension (helps to relieve low back or neck pain associated with sitting at a desk for long periods of time)
All you will need is an exercise mat and a towel; clothing should be comfortable and fitted to allow you to see the movements of your muscles as you flow through the exercises.